SWAN (System Wide Automated Network) has been serving Illinois libraries since 1974 and today has a membership of 97 libraries throughout the Chicagoland area. By consolidating services and collaborating together, the SWAN membership is able to promote:
- A shared online public access catalog with nearly 10 million items available to patrons
- Centralized cataloging and software services that save library staff valuable time and money
- A unique collection of materials from public, college, and special libraries across Illinois
- 24/7 support to library staff—including IT, consulting, training, documentation, and tutorials
- Networking opportunities and knowledge/resource-sharing among the 2,000+ member library staff, as well as professional memberships to OCLC, COSUGI, and more
- Library accessibility through modern technology like Linked Data (making library catalog materials discoverable to the World Wide Web and search engines) and easy procurement of materials; patrons can receive a variety of alerts like email or SMS/text message notifications, in a variety of languages (English, Spanish, Polish, and more)
SWAN is a Local Library System Automation Program, and while you may not have heard of an LLSAP before, you’ve likely benefited from their services. Just like libraries, SWAN values sharing resources and continued learning. And just like libraries, SWAN is here to serve our community.