Thanks for your interest in joining SWAN’s team!
SWAN will provide equal opportunity to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability, pregnancy, military status, marital status, order of protection status, genetic information, sexual orientation, transgender status, or any other category protected by law, in accordance with all applicable law.
SWAN offers a very generous benefits package to all full-time (37.5 hours/week) employees, including: a 9.75% 401 contribution and opt-in 457b and Roth plan; paid vacation, sick, and personal time off; health, dental and vision insurance; life and disability insurance paid by SWAN; tuition reimbursement; wellness reimbursement; flexible scheduling and work-from-home options; and a bring your dog to work option!
Please email a copy of your cover letter and resume to Brande Overbey, SWAN Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for any of our open positions, or if you’d like us to keep your resume on file for upcoming openings.
Electronic Resources Consultant
The digital revolution is transforming the world, including the way that we provide services and support to our 97 libraries and their patrons. Are you ready to help us take SWAN to the next level of digital services? We’re looking for a creative, detail-oriented individual with a passion for library support to join our team in a newly-created role. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
During a week in the life of a SWAN Electronic Resources Consultant, you might be…
- Overseeing our suite of electronic databases, e-books, and other digital collections, including troubleshooting, data gathering, and maintaining our vendor relationships.
- Visiting some of our 97 libraries in the Chicago suburbs to find out more about their e-resource needs, providing staff training, or just checking in.
- Thinking about process evaluation and improvements for user experience of our e-resources, both for our member libraries and for their patrons.
- Creating training documentation, planning training courses, and developing web content related to e-resources.
- Taking support calls and fielding help-desk tickets related to digital services, e-content and member support.
- Helping the User Experience Manager to customize and further improve upon our online catalog.
- Working closely with our other departments and SWAN staff to ensure optimal function for our resources, including occasionally serving as a project leader on new roll-outs.
We’re looking for a candidate who ideally has…
- A Bachelor’s degree; an MLS or graduate degree in a computer-related equivalent is a plus.
- 3-5 years’ work experience in a related field, preferably managing digital collections.
- Experience creating, maintaining, and/or managing metadata or other structured data, (e.g., manipulating data in an institutional database or managing research data).
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint is required.
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, is required. Occasional small and large group presentations will be required for this role.
- Ability to work effectively and maintain good working relationships with SWAN and member library staff is required.
- Ability to work independently and seek out colleagues in collaborative problem-solving.
- Ability to multi-task while ensuring meticulous accuracy with very detailed projects.
- Knowledge of graphic and web design and experience with content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Drupal) a plus.
- Knowledge of existing ILS software and library technologies is preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work varied hours, extended hours and to travel occasionally on behalf of SWAN.
- You must have the ability to input data, read computer screens and printed material, communicate effectively in-person, via phone, videoconferencing and e-mail, and operate office equipment.
- Primarily sedentary work, but also requires standing, walking, stooping or crouching, kneeling, reaching, pushing, grasping, lifting, feeling, hearing and talking.
- Physical presence in the office will be required for this position based on team schedules for collaborative work. Work from home and on-site member visits will also be part of normal work schedule.